Does your AppleTV or iOS device suffer from a software failure? Or maybe you want to check out a newly introduced beta iOS? In both cases, as well as in many other situations, you may need an IPSW file.
If you are a confident user, someday, you may find yourself in a situation when you need to download an IPSW file. What is this file needed for? Where to get it and how to install IPSW to your device? In this article, you will find answers to all these questions!
IPSW File: A Full Definition And Tips For Using It
Let’s start with a brief definition. If this is the first time you have to deal with an IPSW file, you are probably wondering what it stands for. In brief, this is an archive that includes a set of thousands of files needed for flashing a specific iOS version into the device.
With this in mind, we can point out a few basic cases when someone may need to install this file:
- When your device suffers from a software failure that requires refreshing the iOS version;
- When you want to download a new beta version of OS either for personal use or to test your app;
- When you need to roll back your device to a more stable version of the operating system.
In any case, in order to install the needed IPSW file, a user will have to download it from one either from the manufacturer’s official website if you need a beta version or from the ipsw.me website. In the first case, you will have to register in the special program for developers in order to download a beta version.
Next, you will need to extract it with the help of iTunes and reflash your device. Below is a step-by-step guide on how to do this.
First of all, every user should know where this file is usually located in the system. In most cases, the relevant file will be stored inside the following directory on Mac:
However, depending on the device you own and its model, sometimes this file can also be found in:
~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
In case you are going to use a Windows PC, this file will be located in:
\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates\
Now, how to use IPSW files once you have it? The process is pretty simple, and here are the steps you will need to take:
- Attach the device you need to flash to the computer with the USB cable.
- Launch iTunes manually or wait until it opens automatically, then select your device.
- If you are using a Mac computer – press and hold Option and then click Refresh. If you are using a Windows PC – press and hold Shift and then click Refresh.
- Pick the IPSW file you have downloaded and press Select
- Then just let your device to run a usual update